Incorporating the Disciplines
Actions Steps for Weeks 3-4:
Discern from the Lord one new spiritual discipline he may be calling you to practice for a minimum of one month. Then, find two others who will walk with you through this – joining you or providing loving accountability.
- The Spirit of the Disciplines, Dallas Willard
- Celebration of Discipline, Richard Foster
- The Life You’ve Always Wanted, John Ortberg
The guide below will guide you through the next TWO weeks in this discipline. For the sake of simplicity, we’ll focus on one of three disciplines: Reading, Fasting, or Silence.
If you miss a reading, don’t feel pressure to go back and get “caught up”. Just use the readings for your current day. No pressure & no shame.
Week 1: M- Genesis 1-2; Psalm 19; Mark 1 Tue – Gen 3-5; Mark 2 W – Gen 6-8; Psalm 104; Mark 3; Thu – Gen 9-11; Mark 4 F – Gen 12-15; Psalm 148; Mark 5
Week 2 M – Genesis 16-18; Mark 6; Tue – Gen 19-20; Psalm 1; Mark 7; W – Gen 21-23; Psalm 107; Mark 8; Thu – Gen 24-25; Psalm 4; Mark 9; F- Gen 26-27; Mark 10
For alternative Bible reading plans, click here.
Week 1: Pick a day and fast from media (Saturday, Sept 30?)
Week 2: Pick a day to fast from food (Sat, Oct 7?)
SILENCE, SOLITUDE, & PRAYER:
– Initially set a timer for 10 minutes and sit in silence asking God to speak to your heart. As you discipline your mind and heart to be still, you may find that you crave more than 10 minutes at a time, but do what you feel is accessible for you. If you need help getting started: Read a verse or short passage of scripture and pick one word of phrase that sticks out to you. Meditate on that phrase for a few minutes asking God to show you why He brought it to mind.
- Write down in your journal or on a pad or a note space on your computer what you were hearing, or notice in the silence, or what it is like without all the noise.
- Turn off your radio on long car rides and intentionally ask God to quiet your heart so that you can hear from him.
- Turn off background noise when doing tasks around your house.
- Take a walk or run without listening to music.