To Be Disciples Who Make Disciples and Plant Churches
Jesus desires followers, not fans. He calls apprentices and learners to himself, not folks who will admire from a distance. Knowing God through Christ is a lifelong, transforming relationship that begins now and lasts into eternity. Being a disciple assumes relationship with God through both Word and Spirit, combined with the dynamic interplay of intentionally giving and receiving from others.
Making a disciple involves intentionally investing our lives into others so that they too may follow Jesus as Lord and then, in turn, pour into another. This act flows out naturally from being a disciple and moves people into both community and mission.
As we make disciples, gospel-saturated, mission-focused disciples, these disciples will desire to see the Kingdom expand through the local church, both locally and globally. We believe the local church is God’s ordained plan for the spread of his Kingdom under the guidance of His Spirit and dependence on His grace. Though complex and counter-cultural from a human standpoint, the church achieves the purposes of God (Ephesians 1:22-23).
Simply Captured: Up-In-Out
These words are a tagline that captures our vision for how followers of Jesus mature. UP stands for our relationship with God, that we pursue personal spiritual growth. IN stands for our relationships with one another, that we participate in healthy community. OUT stands for our relationship with the world, that we engage in strong mission. Being and making disciples requires that we’re see the work of the church through an up-in-out lens.
God’s Purpose for His Church
The Root of Our Mission & Vision
- To Glorify God: By knowing Him, obeying His Word, and giving Him all the credit He deserves (Psalm 29:1:2, Ephesians 1:3-6).
- To Love God: By placing Him first above all else in our minds, heart, soul, and strength (Matthew 22:37 -38).
- To Love Others: By giving away the love God has shown us (Matthew 22:39-40, Galatians 6:10, I John 3:23).
- To Live as Changed People: By declaring Jesus’ words and demonstrating Jesus’ works (Philippians 1:27, I Corinthians 15:1-3, Matthew 9:35-11:1, John 14).
- To Extend the Gospel of Jesus: By making disciples to the ends of the earth through the power of the Holy Spirit. (Matthew 28:18-20, Acts 1:8)